NYDA Scholarship Fund in South Africa. Apply Here for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship Fund in South Africa. Here are the application procedures and the requirements.
NYDA Scholarship Fund in South Africa 2023/2024
The National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) is delighted to offer Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship Fund (SMSF) to youth under 35 years of age to give them an opportunity to study at public universities or university of technologies across South Africa.
The scholarship fund is designed to create an environment for affording youth with excellent academic background, an opportunity to further their studies. Financial support will be provided to youth who pursue full-time degrees that fall within the priority growth sectors, critical and scarce skills areas outlined in the labour planning frameworks of the country.
About NYDA Scholarship and Worth
Scholarship Sponsor(s): The National Youth Development Agency (NYDA)
Host Institution(s): Public Universities and Universities of Technology, South Africa
Scholarship Worth: Funded
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: Undergraduates & Postgraduates
Nationality: South African Students
NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship Fund
The scholarship fund was established in honour of Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu who at the age of 23, was executed under the apartheid laws after being wrongfully accused of murder and terrorism. Fearing crowd reaction at the funeral, police decided to bury Mahlangu in Atteridgeville, Pretoria.
The Fund seeks to avail financial support to youth to enable them to pursue quality education in an institution of higher learning with youth in rural areas as primary target.
Objectives of The Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship Fund:
- To provide financial support to youth in the form of scholarships to increase their chances of accessing quality higher education in their field of study
- To increase chances of employability or entrepreneurship based on the positive correlation between level of education and employability.
- Empower the youth (under 35 years) with education to enable them to compete favourably in the labour market
- Contribute to the development of critical and scarce skills
Eligibility and Criterian for NYDA Scholarship
To be eligible for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship Fund, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Students must be applying for admission to one of the public universities as a 1st year full-time student in a priority study
- High school learners who plan to attend one of the public universities or universities of technology after completing the National Senior Certificate
- Must meet University Admission Points Score (APS) and achieve an average of 70% in the NSC exams
- Must be South African citizens under 35
- Financial neediness – combined household income of less than R15 000 a month
- Reside in rural/semi-rural areas/townships
The following costs are covered by the Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship:
- Accommodation (thresholds apply)
- Study Books/equipment (thresholds apply)
Application Procedures for NYDA Scholarship
Interested applicants seeking for NYDA Solomon Kalushi Mahlangu Scholarship Fund should submit application online via the NYDA website or send a printed completed form to the address given in ‘applications’. NO faxing or direct submissions to universities or NYDA offices.
The fund will be accessible to deserving South African youth who meet the minimum entry requirements set by the NYDA and, who have been admitted for study at public Universities and Universities of Technology.
Application Deadline: Not Stated