DAAD Postgraduate Scholarships 2023/2024 – The DAAD supports the training of specialists from developing and recently industrialized nations through its postgraduate study programs that are development-oriented. The sustained growth of their nations depends heavily on locally trained experts who are connected to international partners.
DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship Benefits
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 934 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship Qualification / Requirements
- Graduates with at least two years’ professional experience from the following countries: list of eligible countries
- Individual scholarships exclusively for Postgraduate courses in Germany that are listed on the
The Typical Scholarship Holder
- Works either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country and, as such, is engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas.
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree (normally four years) in a related subject.
- Has completed an academic degree with far above average results (upper third) and at least two years of related professional experience after the first degree (bachelor) at the time of application.
- His/her academic degrees should normally not be more than six years old.
Candidates who were residing in Germany at the application deadline for more than 15 months will not be taken into consideration.
- For study courses in German (scholarship includes a preparatory 6-month German language course in Germany): Successful passing of the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before the start of the study course. Therefore, a minimum German language level of B1 at the time of application is a requirement, that needs to be proofed by providing a current certificate.
Note: It is not possible to pass the required German language courses (DSH or TestDaF) without any previous basic knowledge in the German language (at least B1 Level), even with the preceding six-month intensive course in Germany. Passing the language test is a formal prerequisite for matriculation at the respective German university.
Documents Required For Application
Required documents (in the following order):
- Completed and signed checklist
- DAAD application “Application for a research/study scholarship” (please type your answers or make sure they are easy to read)
- A curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (please use the europass template including exact information about your studies, and on practical experience
- One Letter of Motivation with detailed reference to academic, professional and personal reasons for applying for the programme.
IMPORTANT: When applying for more than one postgraduate course (maximum 3 courses), please also give detailed reasons for your choice of courses and prioritisation in the letter of motivation. Please submit a uniform letter of motivation to all postgraduate degree programmes of your choice.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) on www2.daad.de to apply
- You send your complete application(s) directly to the according postgraduate course.
- A selection committee suggests potential candidates for a DAAD scholarship.
- The suggested candidates will be contacted by DAAD to upload their complete application to the DAAD Portal.
- The selection process will be finalized, and the suggested candidates will be informed accordingly.
If you are applying for a DAAD scholarship, you must upload all of your application materials, including copies of all supporting documents (in the form of PDF files), to the DAAD portal.
DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship Interview Date 2023/2024
- Candidates fulfil the necessary academic requirements and can be expected to successfully complete a study programme in Germany (above-average result for first academic exam – top performance third, language skills)
- Candidates have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- Candidates have at least two years’ professional experience
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship