The scholarship comprises a $15,000 tax free stipend for one year plus tuition fees (domestic fees for 120 points only). Fees will be paid directly to the University by the Scholarships Office. International students other than those from Australia will be liable to pay the difference between the full international student fee and the domestic fee.
About the Scholarship
To encourage postgraduate research at Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington, the University offers scholarships to students about to begin a full-time, research-focussed Master’s degree.
Applications are sought from those who are eligible at the time of application, or who will have become eligible by the start of Trimester 2 the following year, to enrol for a Master’s degree by thesis worth 90 points or more. The scholarship will be paid only for the period in which the student is undertaking the thesis course so, for some students, this will be Part 2 of a two-year Master’s programme.
Eligibility Requirements for Wellington Masters by Thesis Scholarship Application Form 2024
- Applications are sought from those who are eligible at the time of application, or who will have become eligible by the start of Trimester 2 the following year, to enrol for a Master’s degree by thesis worth 90 points or more. This will be either a one-year Master’s programme in which the student will undertake a thesis worth 90 points or more, or Part 2 Master’s degree in which the student will take a thesis course worth 90 points or more. The Master’s thesis will usually have the course code 591 or 592.
- For avoidance of doubt, eligibility includes students who are taking a portfolio course that is worth 90 points or more, and is administered under the University’s Master’s by Thesis regulations (see section 6 of those regulations).
- Students who are taking a 60 points dissertation course are not eligible.
- Students would normally be expected to have completed a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree Part 1 demonstrating academic achievement equivalent to a GPA of at least 7.0 from a New Zealand university. Applicants must be aware that a GPA of 7.0 is a minimum requirement and that the University Research Scholarships Committee has discretion to use a higher bar if there are more applications than funding available.
Selection Preference for Wellington Masters by Thesis Scholarship Application Form 2024
- Scholarships will be awarded solely on the basis of academic merit by the University Research Scholarships Committee, a sub-committee of the University Research Committee.
- Applicants must be intending to enrol full time at Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be intending to enrol for a thesis worth 90 points or more within a Master’s degree.
To register online, visit Official website
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Closing Date for Wellington Masters by Thesis Scholarship
The application deadline is 1 November, 2023.