MDIA AI Applied Grant 2023/2024 – The Malta Digital Innovation Authority (MDIA) is currently inviting submissions for the AI Applied Research Grant. The primary objective of this initiative is to facilitate the broader integration of innovative technological solutions across both the public and private sectors. This integration aims to enhance operational efficiency, transparency, and engagement with citizens.
The MDIA has been entrusted with the responsibility of overseeing the allocation of public funds through the administration of this Grant. This endeavor is in line with the strategic implementation and governance framework for artificial intelligence (AI). The scope and rationale of this Grant closely align with multiple objectives outlined in the Malta AI Strategy, including:
- Raising awareness about the potential benefits of AI and IoT for society.
- Nurturing research and development activities centered around AI and IoT.
- Cultivating a collaborative culture between research institutions and industries.
- Showcasing the advantages of IoT and AI applications for both public and private sectors.
Furthermore, the Grant is designed to drive progress in accordance with the following Actions detailed within the Malta AI Strategy:
- Action 1, promoting collaborative efforts between researchers, startups, and companies in the AI realm.
- Action 5, boosting investments in AI research capabilities within higher education institutions to enhance academic and applied research output, and foster closer ties with industry and international partners.
- Action 22, enhancing Malta’s position on the Government AI Readiness Index created by Oxford Insights. Enhancing the nation’s AI research capabilities is anticipated to facilitate the integration of AI into public service delivery.
Preference will be given to credible proposals aimed at advancing projects explicitly specified in the Malta AI Strategy. Notable pilot projects mentioned in the strategy include:
- AI for traffic management (Action 24)
- AI in education (Action 25)
- AI in healthcare (Action 26)
- AI for customer service (Action 27)
- AI in tourism (Action 28)
- AI for improved utilities (Action 29)
The overarching goal of the AI Applied Research Grant is to bolster capacity-building endeavors related to AI and/or Internet of Things (IoT) research within Malta. Specifically, the Grant aims to stimulate the following:
- Enhanced capabilities for AI and/or IoT research within the country.
- Greater investments in AI and/or IoT research and development endeavors.
- Wider adoption of AI and/or IoT technologies by both public and private sectors.
- Strengthened collaboration between academic institutions and commercial entities.
The financial allocation for the AI Applied Research Grant has been set at €120,000. The maximum value of the grant for individual projects is €40,000. The Grant offers full financial assistance (100% aid intensity).
Eligible Applicants To qualify for this grant, the applicant must be a local Research Institution (RI), regardless of whether the RI is involved in economic activities. In cases where a research institute has less than 50% public ultimate shareholding, evidence of partnership with an entity possessing more than 50% public ultimate shareholding (e.g., ministries, government entities, commissions, and boards) for the purposes of the project is required. MDIA retains the right to reject project applications if there is reasonable suspicion that the proposed project lacks substantial differentiation from a previously approved project.
Exclusions Applicants engaged in illegal economic activities are ineligible. Applicants lacking substantial economic and physical presence within Malta are excluded.
How to apply: CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Application Deadline: September 30, 2023