Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer (Maternity Cover)
Requisition Number: COMMU003998
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Job Category: Media & Communications
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Communication Officer will support the development and implementation of a communication strategy for Mercy Corps Nigeria, including the regular development of timely, well-written and accurate factsheets, articles, success stories and other resources as needed.
- Working closely with the Senior Communications Manager, the Communications Officer will build and maintain strong working relationships with Mercy Corps Nigeria staff in our Abuja, Maiduguri, and other field offices, and leverage those relationships to ensure that knowledge and understanding of the innovations, influence and impact of our diverse country portfolio is captured and effectively shared with internal and external audiences.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Country Communications Strategy Support:
- Support the Senior Communications Manager in the development of a communications strategy through efficient documentation and implementation of relevant activities in adherence to Mercy Corps global standards and specific donor requirements.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts and provide country-wide support for a cross-learning strategy.
- Work with the Senior Communications Manager to develop new communications initiatives (such as Lunch and Learn, etc.) and organize dissemination and learning activities to facilitate the visibility of Mercy Corps Nigeria’s programming and impact on donors and other stakeholders.
- Monitor workplace, meetings and other internal updates, and coordinate with program, sector, and field office teams, to gather content for and draft a bi-monthly Mercy Corps Nigeria newsletter.
- Maintain and update the Mercy Corps Nigeria digital communications resources library, for country-level access to fact sheets, success stories, lessons learned, communiqués, and any other relevant materials.
- Support content development and share content on Mercy Corps’ Global internal and external communications platforms, including relevant Workplace pages, The Hub and The Globe, and Mercy Corps Nigeria’s website.
- Lead content development and update of Mercy Corps Nigeria website and social media pages, including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Coordinate closely with HQ communications focal points to develop key messages, press releases, and statements for external audiences, in response to evolving events.
- Support regional & HQ research and learning teams with dissemination events.
Communication And Capacity Building:
- Support country office visibility and communication initiatives, ensuring that program communications activities meet donor communications and visibility guidelines.
- Support field locations to collect images, success stories, and other communications content to highlight Mercy Corps Nigeria programs’ successes, staff well-being, or any other topic as the need arises.
- Develop dissemination guidance and support teams to plan and conduct effective dissemination of project materials to different stakeholders.
- Provide administrative support to the facilitation of a Communications Working Group.
- Lead on planning and co-coordinating training, workshops and other events, as the need arises.
- Facilitate sessions in communications capacity-building training for Mercy Corps Nigeria and partner staff.
- Actively participate in meetings and processes to promote effective communication practices across the entire country portfolio.
- Support the Senior Communications Manager in maintaining a communications database of key contacts.
- Participate in communications-related working groups and maintain close relationships with other relevant networks with other international NGOs, local NGOs, and associations in Nigeria.
- Help identify team members’ capacity-building needs and support with the implementation of targeted capacity-building around communications and learning.
- Help in organizing lunch and learn sessions to facilitate cross-learning across Mercy Corps Nigeria offices.
- Support operations, finance, HR, CARM and MEL teams to improve their communications and information sharing with staff by supporting them in the production of updates, guidelines, briefings, and providing feedback on communications outputs.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Supervisory Responsibility:None
- Reports Directly To: Senior Communications Manager
- Works Directly With: Programs Staff, PaQ Team, HQ & Regional Communications Staff, HR, Operations, Finance (All Offices)
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Communication, International Development, Gender, or any related field.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with PowerPoint and Microsoft Word,
- Experience interfacing with media, corporations, and key stakeholders highly desired
- Fluency in written and verbal English is required.
- Minimum of 2 years of Communication work experience in international development required
- Experience in written and audio-visual communication materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date: 18th August, 2023.